Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Monkey Buffet Festival

Hey!

How are you? I´ve been searching for strange and funny traditions and festivals around the world. Among all the strange traditions, like throwing breakable dishes at your neighbour’s door in Denmark, or tumbling 200 yards to the bottom of a hill… there is one that attracted my attention. It is called the monkey buffet festival and it takes place in Lopburi (Bangkok) on the 28th of November. Over 3,000 kg of fruit and vegetables are offered to every monkey that lives in Lopburi in honour of Rama. More than one thousand people go every year to the festival to enjoy a wonderful day seeing how around 600 monkeys eat what you offer them. I also think that it is a good experience because you can learn a bit of culture, see the ruins that are next to the square, and also visit the rest of Lopburi.

I hope I’ll be able to go some time and watch such a great show!

Here is a link to see the festival!

8 comments:

  1. I have never seen something like that!!!.It is really surprising how fun can be watch this.

    I have just watched the link and I like it a lot.It is very funny seeing how this little creatures enjoy their feast.

    Probably in my next holydays I will try to go there and enjoy this curioUs event with my family!!haha

    YAIZA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very curious and funny festival!! I have never seen something like that, good festival to visit in the future.... haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I like this topic as it is interesting for every kind of person to know about the traditions of other countries. I get amazed with the strange tradition of throwing breakable dishes at your neighbour’s door in Denmark. However, I think that the Monkey Buffet Festival is, in some way, a way of wasting the food as I don′t think monkeys could eat all that amount of food. I think it would be better to allow them eating the food they need. Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a strange festival, isn't it? However, it would be very interesting to see how people venerate those funny monkeys. I would like to be one of the monkeys in order to eat a lot of fruit for free!! I congratulate you because of this funny article. David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every one is crazy...!! Now, there are festivals about everything. However, I think that it would be interesting to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is original as it is focused on animals, instead that on poeple, however, I think I would choose another place to go on vacation, although it would be a different experience.
    Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! There's nothing else I can said. Of everything in the world that I could imagine, this is the only thing that I wouldn't.
    I see this as a completely crazy thing, because although it's a costume and it's beautiful and funny to see, I think that all these fruits and vegetables could be used as other more "profitable" things, now that we are in a very bad economic situation and now that there are some countries where still been people there dying of hunger.
    This is just my personal opinion :)
    MARINA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is a very strange festival but I would like to see it because I think I would enjoy it a lot. EMMA

    ReplyDelete