Monday 9 May 2011

Alternative Rock

When we talk about music, I think that we don’t know everything about it. Yes, we all like pop music, but do we really know why we like it? There’s a very simple reason: record companies want us to buy it, that’s why it’s called commercial music.

However, I think that the best type of music is ALTERNATIVE ROCK. Not many people really know what this kind of music consists of; if you are one of them, don’t worry, I’m going to explain now.

Alternative Rock is a musical subgenre of Rock music. It was created during the 60s, although it didn’t reach the height of popularity until the 80s. Its name is a mix of Rock, because it is a subgenre of the first, and Alternative because when it was first created it was outside mainstream music. It has some subgenres like Indie Rock and Noise Rock. Alternative Rock musicians use instruments like electric guitars, bass and drums.

Some famous groups which use this style are: R.E.M., Muse, The Strokes, The White Stripes, Depeche Mode, Panic! At the Disco, Foo Fighters and the Arctic Monkeys. An example of a Spanish group is Lori Meyers.

Some of their songs have cover versions by other groups. This is a cover of Depeche Mode’s song, “Enjoy the Silence”, by Nada Surf, an American Alternative Rock group which has a Spanish member. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijiCZAN2ntY

Here I leave you links to my favourite songs:

- “The Ballad of Mona Lisa”, Panic! At the Disco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgpdp3lP8M

- “Brianstorm”, Arctic Monkeys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w8DyEJ__0

- “Under Cover of Darkness”, The Strokes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l09H-3zzgA

- “Undisclosed Desires”, Muse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OOWcsFj0U

ENJOY THE MUSIC!

14 comments:

  1. I like your music taste, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post as I think it is really interesting knowing why we like music!!haha.

    Also because I think it gives us the opportunity to listen other type of music when we get bored of ours;which is something I hope it never happens,haha!.
    I said this simply because I don�t like these groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the post above is fron YAIZA,sorry for that,hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this style of music, very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard something about this kind of music. However, I have never listen to it before.
    When I first do it, I like it! The songs you provide us are good. Meanwhile, I continue prefering other kind of music as pop one, but when I have some free time, I will listen to some more songs of this gender. Particularly, I like “Under Cover of Darkness”, The Strokes.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a lot this post :) I think it is really interesting because I like a lot Rock,Alternative Rock, and then Metal, but that is another world :)My favourite group of Alternative Rock is Nirvana, I really like this group. It is FANTASTIC! That's my opinion.
    HOMLOF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg
    This song is INCREDIBLE
    And for finishing, I'm going to say that when you listen this music, you (at least me) feel something that can not be explain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this type of music is fantastic it is very relaxing to finish the week (on friday) and listen to this type of music in ingravidez that is a radio program in los 40 every friday at 12 o'clock the music from the strokes is awsome i love it
    RODRIGO AYLLON

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I prefer other types of music, I also like some of the groups you have named, especially The White Stripes, their song of Seven Nation Army is awesome. But it is good listening to different music styles, variety is good. Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  9. This kind of music is not bad, I prefer electronic music, however I have it quite present and I listen to it almost every day as my sister likes it a lot.
    Another thing I really like about it is that they make a really good job with the guitars.
    My favourite group of this music style is "The Offspring".
    MARTA

    ReplyDelete
  10. now I understand why do they call them artic MONKEYS... xD
    Raul

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this post!

    It's a very good way to showing us what type of music exist apart from the one that er listen to and a more even better way to try in some way to convince us about Alternative Rock, which, in my casi, I get really convinced about ;).

    Before reading this post I'd heard songs of groups of this music genre and they're fabulous!!

    To conclude woth my comment I want to say that Alternative rock is not a very known style but, in my personal opinion, it must be! :)

    MARINA

    PS. If you want to, listen to the song of "Fluorescent Adolescent", by the Arctic Monkeys... There I leave it, guys! ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9I9VBKPiw

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know about this kind of music until I read this article, but now that I know it I only have to say it is a very interesting music. I like it:) EMMA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's my favourite song of Lori Meyers, called "Mi realidad"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ssAbLzNECo

    ReplyDelete
  14. New Arctic Monkeys' release! It's called "Suck it and see". I've just bought it and in one hour I've heard it all.

    ReplyDelete