Saturday 29 January 2011

That beautiful sport called sky

Time: 15.30

Location: Tramacastilla ski lift and the black track of “Tubo Inferior”.

Characters: Pablo, David, Alberto, Luis and me.

Brilliant the idea of David to take the Tramacastilla ski lift to get to “Tres Hombres” and more or less in the middle of the track get off the lift and go down through the black track “Tubo Inferior”; so when we arrived there we read "extreme difficulty", but, baah, it was just a suggestion... Overall, we got to the famous track and:

Alberto: Hey! There is a child like us that came rolling down the whole track.

David: Bah! He was a novice who had no idea how to ski.

And he skis straight down 5 meters, then skids on a patch of ice and falls down, we all start laughing and his skies go straight down the runway all the way down, a tremendous scene.

Then, I start to go down the track to help him, but suddenly I turn around and I see Pablo and Alberto on the floor sliding on the same patch of ice and they are coming heading towards me. I try to move way but these idiots knock me over, Alberto´s skies hit me on the shoulder and Pablo's finish the job hitting me squarely on the head (I was wearing a helmet so it was not too bad.)

I crawl down with my skies a few meters towards David but they come off and I go down THE ENTIRE track rolling like a ball without control, tumbling, doing cartwheels, bouncing over the snow, and many other strange things that I cannot remember well, so 600 meters later, I could stop…

I lie face up, exhausted, with my shoulder and leg in pain, after having rolled like a ball in the middle of an avalanche on one of the most difficult black tracks of the resort.

One minute later, with my body lying on the surface of the snow and trembling with an incredible feeling of adrenaline after having a brush with death, I turn around to see what the hell the idiots who knocked me down are doing.

Pablo is completely white; he thought he had killed me because of the how he struck me. Luis has fallen down laughing due to my tumbling down and has several skies and poles in his hands. Later, I see David going down jumping in the snow as if he had springs in his boots and also laughing like a little kid, and behind him Alberto who comes to me but with the same luck as David, he ends up falling down, well not exactly the same because he goes head down like a sledge while the snow sprays into his mouth.

Then suddenly, an avalanche starts above us and balls of ice bounce down from the top of the track, a big one hits Alberto’s head.

In the end, everything calms down, but the commentaries while all of us were going down were these:

Luis: It is the last time I do this; I am not a back sweep.

David: Yeah! It is awful rolling down ha! Ha!

Alberto: Ehh! Help me I can’t stop!

Me: But this is great what an adrenaline rush.

Pablo: Sergio, are you ok?

But everything does not finish there; after everything gets back to normal, more or less we go down what little remains of the track as fast the speed of light, and we arrive at a difficult downhill slope. David, as usual, falls down again and he slips dangerously towards some rocks, Alberto goes to help him but, not to our surprise, he falls over his cousin. Luis, Pablo and I continue with our route going down the hill without any difficulty and we wait for them watching how the funny scene finishes. Both cousins get up and we continue going down to the end of the track.

But later, David falls down in virgin snow again, and instead of leaning his body back and lifting the tips of the skies, he leans forwards and the skies dig into the ground, he shouts an spectacular “¡Yikes!” and he falls down the hill, unable to stop with his hands; then, at the distance, we hear another scream “Hells bells!, what now?” and he gets up with all his face full of snow.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you didn't do any serious damage!!Just go to Santa Ines next time - it's too small for you to kill yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I supposed the writer of these text and I must say that if he is the one I think, he is very good as this winter sport. Of course, it is usual that people fall down practising ski. It is a funny story , but it would be better if we have seen the falls. ;)
    Jenni Blasco

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post,it is very funny,haha!!
    and I like it also because it shows you the two faces of winter sports:
    1-It could be very funny if you go with your frineds,so you could enjoy it a lot.
    2-Sometimes if you don´t control the sport very well can be dangerous.

    Even though we can suffer some accidents,I think it is a marvellous sport.
    With it you feel an incredible feeling of adrenaline and I ENCOURAGE EVERYBODY TO PRACTISE IT!!!

    YAIZA

    ReplyDelete
  4. JAJAJAJAJA
    It's funny and it's not as the usual sport posts, which just tell technical information, because this is a real experience.
    However I think you sould be more careful, or some day you will brake something ;)
    Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  5. JAJAJAJAJAJA :')
    My God, I describe these scene as "a scene to the 'Funniest homemake videos of America'" ;)
    I like this post because it shows the funny part of the sport and also the danger that it can have in all its aspects.. :S.
    Also I have to say that you are some kind of kamikaze suicide group ;), but thanks to your "abilities" you make me laugh for a while, hahaha :)
    MARINA

    ReplyDelete